First Nation Group is TOGETHER STRONG
First Nation Group was founded by a small group of retired military officers and local business leaders in Detroit in an effort to connect businesses in the inner city at the Samaritan Center, a nonprofit, with US Government opportunities. With that goal in mind, our focus is building a for-profit business to fuel a nonprofit mission making a significant impact on the lives of the veterans we support and the underserved communities where we live and work.
Our community outreach and giving spirit is integrated at every level of our business and lead by the heart of our company – our employees – through financial support, in-kind donations, volunteerism, mentorship programs and other mission-related activities.
We believe, #TogetherStrong, we’ll continue to build stronger, healthier communities.
According to HUD, over 39,000 veterans are homeless and sleeping on the streets of our country. Many have nowhere to turn for help. Veterans Matter is leading an innovative collaboration dedicated to helping homeless veterans secure permanent housing and preventing others from becoming homeless. They provide services to veterans in all states of need, in all states of the nation. To date over 1,200 veterans have been housed in 145 cities.
Jordan Reses and our employees are working to make a difference for our homeless veterans. In 2015 we made a company-wide commitment to help Veterans Matter increase its reach and build the program's national presence.
- Responding to Veterans Matter’s “Operation Greatest Need” JRS provided the funding to open up Operation’s Colorado, Mississippi, and expand Operation Michigan and Texas.
- In May of 2016 the employees and business partners of JRS held the first ever Silver Star Event in Ann Arbor (www.silverstarevent.org) raising over $35,000 to help local veterans.
- In 2016 Jordan Reses committed an additional $300,000 to further the mission "Mellencamp coming back to Tent City". $200,000 serves as a match for all donations made to Veterans Matter, and $100,000 will fund the Veterans Matter’s pilot "Training and Re-Employment Program" in two selected cities.
- JRS employees have also taken on the cause to give back to those who served, raising money and leading efforts to collect household items needed by veterans and their families as they move into their new communities.
For more information on Veterans Matter and how you can support this organization, please visit www.veteransmatter.org/jrs
Silver Star Event
The Silver Star Event is a charitable event hosted by Jordan Reses to honor our veterans and raise funds to support causes focused on veterans and their families. The 2016 event included silent and live auctions, a key note speaker, wine pull and excellent presentations, and raised over $35,000 to help eliminate veteran homelessness through the work of Veterans Matter. Jordan Reses was fortunate to have Corporal Robert (Bur) Pulliam, the first veteran housed by the Veterans Matter program, attend the event and speak of his experience. Read more about Corporal Robert (Bur) Pulliam’s story in this Huffington Post Article. We are grateful to all who join forces with us to make the Silver Star Event a success.
Read about the Silver Star Event in this Toledo Blade News Article
Veteran's Day Celebrations
Each Veterans Day Jordan Reses employees engage in a day of service and volunteer activities to celebrate, thank and support our veterans and active-duty personnel, and provide support to various causes. Activities have included:
- Providing volunteer support at homeless shelters and other community organizations
- Donating supplies and packing care packages for overseas personnel and local veterans in need
- Writing letters for Operation Gratitude
- Attending fundraisers
- Attending and participating in parades
Honor Flight Network
The Honor Flight Network is a national program that provides cost-free travel for America's veterans to visit their war memorials in Washington, D.C. This trip provides veterans with an opportunity to experience the memorials that were created in their honor and to be recognized for the sacrifices given for our freedom.
The network currently consists of approximately 136 hubs in 48 states. The Mid-Michigan Honor Flight serves as one of these regional hubs for the national program. As a corporate sponsor, Jordan Reses is proud to provide substantial financial support to the Mid-Michigan program and our employees are also personally involved in several ways. Many give direct donations and help lead fundraising efforts, while others volunteer to serve as “Guardians” - a support person who accompanies a veteran on Honor Flight trips.
The inaugural “Tour of Honor” in June 2014 saw 80 veterans flown from Grand Rapids, Michigan, to Washington D.C., to visit their WWII, Korea and Vietnam Memorials, as well as Arlington National Cemetery. Upon their return home, veterans participated in a festive Heroes' Celebration where they were honored and thanked for their service. Each participant also received an Honor Flight t-shirt, Challenge coin and commemorative book.
We are honored to provide ongoing support for Honor Flight and the brave men and women who have served our country.
To learn more about the Honor Flight and how you can get involved, please visit: